Building a bonfire.
- warn your neighbours beforehand – they are much less likely to complain.
- light the bonfire at a time least likely to affect your neighbours – for example, not on a warm day when people will be in their garden.
- only burn dry material not damp, which causes more smoke.
- build the bonfire away from sheds, fences and trees.
- check there are no cables, like telephone wires, above the bonfire.
- don’t use petrol or paraffin to get the fire going as it may get out of control quickly.
- as a rule of thumb the bonfire should be a minimum of five times its height from property.